In 1954, with large telephone companies refusing to bring telephone service to rural communities, residents of Randolph, Chatham and Moore Counties banded together to charter RTMC. RTMC began operations in 1957, with 97 phones in Farmer, N.C. Extended service to High Falls and Bennett in 1958. Converted to 1-party line service in 1970. Upgraded to digital switching in 1985. Completed fiber optic network in 1995. Launched high-speed broadband Internet service in 2001, which is now available to all of our customers, even the most remote. Randolph Telephone celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2004 and its 50th Annual Membership Meeting in 2008. On May 13, 2018, the Cooperative celebrated 65 years of service to the rural communities it serves.